Saturday 4 June 2011

I blew a fuse in my garage, changed fuse still no power?

I was in my garage and I plugged 2 space heaters in an outlet. And the power goes out, so I changed the fuse in the garage. Still no power, I changed the ones in the house. Still nothing, I went to the hardware store bought brand new fuses and still no power. What could it be?|||If this is a circuit with GFCI outlet, especially if heaters were plugged into it, you may have tripped the circuit breaker on the GFCI outlet. Last year a cover for aq gfci outlet got broken off. A day or so later 1/2 of my garage power quit working. Nothing I did seemed to help. On a hunch, I replaced the gfci outlet, along with a new cover and everything started working. If the outlet is not a gfci, check to see if it is wired into a circuit with a gfci someplace in the line.|||Maybe it%26#039;s double fused, more fuses at the main panel?|||You may have to check to see if the range fuses are blown in the fuse box in the house or garage. The fuses that screw in are branch circuit fuses. There are two main fuses behind the plastic block above the branch circuit fuses. Pull on the D ring to pull out the block and you will see them. They are either 30 or probably 60 amp fuses. One of these is probably blown.|||Unplug the heaters! One of them could have a short. Use a flashlight and check every receptacle for burning. (also smell them for a burned smell) the chances are that the fuse saved your house from burning down when a wire in the system fried. if you still cant find the problem, call an electrician to test the wires.