Tuesday 20 September 2011

I am going to change a fuse subpanel to a breaker sub...?

The main panel is a 200amp breaker coming into house which was built in 1939. The house has 2 copper wires going to each switch, no grounds. Question: one person told me to get a Murray breaker box, another told me to get a Cuttler Hammer. Is there a difference between any of these boxes, are there any that I should avoid? I will be using an electrician.

Any info is appreciated.
I am going to change a fuse subpanel to a breaker sub...?
The electrician will usually supply his own material. I don't care for Murry panels, to cheaply made. I use Square D or Cutler Hammer. The Cutler Hammer BR is a very good panel and the breakers are reasonable. Square D is very high quality but pricey. Both breakers can be bought virtually everywhere. Email if you have more questions.



Be wary of untrained and unqualified people. Especially those pretending to be electricians. Lots of both on yahoo.
I am going to change a fuse subpanel to a breaker sub...?
Sounds good. I use those panels more often than any other in houses. You won't need a main circuit breaker. A lug panel will do it. There is no rule against having a main, but it is not required.

John

Report Abuse


Your electrician can help you decide on panel.

Cuttler Hammer is good but the breakers are pretty expensive. Murray i havent seen too much around here but they use cheaper breakers.
i am a electrician. i use murray. cutler hammer is more expensive. they are good quality but i would use murray because a few years down the road when you need a breaker you can get a breaker for that panel just about anywhere, verses cutler hammer you might have to go out of your way to find it or the electrician you change to from when you had it installed is no longer around or doesn't use cutler hammer.

just about any hardware store Carry's murray. murray been around since the late 1890 sometime.

good luck
Your electrician will probably have his favorite brand to use since he will have to warranty the work or at least should. I prefer Square D QO series myself and most customers like the trip indicator to tell which breaker is tripped. Probably my second choice would be Cutler Hammer.
Square D's your best buy for sure. And there common. Cutler Hammer is more expensive and not really better. Murrays a dinosaur, right up there with Federal Pacific
seimens or square d is the way to go you can buy combo packs with the majority of breakers coming in th box