Tuesday 20 September 2011

How do I know which fuse to change in my car?

I own a 2001 Ford Crown Victoria and the bright setting on my headlights does not work and the cigarette lighter does not work. I know that it is because one of the fuses ir burnt out but how do you know which fuse is used by those two things? I do not have an owners manual so I cannot look there..
How do I know which fuse to change in my car?
A light tester will do the trick. On the back of the fuse there is two little metal pieces. with the ignition on both sides will light up the light tester. The fuse that is blown will only have juice on one side.
How do I know which fuse to change in my car?
Fuse box covers usually show a diagram of what fuses are assigned to.
You can sometimes see the burned out section in the fuse..and sometimes you cant. Try making a test light with an old light fitting or even just a globe with two short wires soldered to the terminals on the globe. Then you can use the test light, running the wires from the car battery and putting the fuse 'inline'. If the fuse is good the light will glow and if the fuse is bad the light will not work. Take the fuses out one at a time so you don't mix them up and test them out of the car for safety.
Pull off the fuse box cover and look at the inside. It has a circuit map of all the circuits printed right there!



Replace the fuse with the same color/capacity fuse.



Easy!







Good luck!