Tuesday 20 September 2011

I have just changed a fuse in my car?

I have just changed a fuse in my ford galaxy car it was for the central locking, now since i have done that my petrol gauge is staying up and not moving, also the mileage used to be on display all the time, but now it goes on and off and the central locking is still not working.

WHY is all this happening after changing 1 fuse
I have just changed a fuse in my car?
If your car is pre 2002 then the central locking fuse is also a fuse for the instrument panel ,I suggest you check the fuse making sure it is the correct amp rating and that you haven't fitted a dud fuse. It may be the fuse blowing when you try to operate the Central locking , if so best to get it checked professionally.
I have just changed a fuse in my car?
don't mess with things you don't know anything about
I would guess that you changed the wrong fuse. If you did and you replaced the fuse with a defective fuse or one with too low a rating that blew right away it would cause this problem. put back in the fuse you took out and see if the new problems go away. If the locks are on the same fuse it could be there is something else wrong with them
Seems to me that you disturbed the others in some way, ease each out part way and replace, it could be simply dirty contacts, its difficult to really know from here, try it.
a fuse can blow over time just by use, but the key function of a fuse is as a fail safe should something else go wrong and l suspect the original fuse blew because of that,just on what you say l would start with the fuel sender unit then see if that cures it if not then it may be best to consult an auto electrician who will have the expertise to find the fault