Tuesday 20 September 2011

What kind if fuse should I use for my car amp?

The fuse that the car amp install kit blew out after like 2 years, I am using a SPL 1250 amp powering two Jensen 10%26quot; subs. I replaced the fuse with a 20 amp and blew out after a week, actually overheated so bad it melted the holder around the fuse. I changed the whole thing yesterday but used a 60 amp fuse. How do I find out what kind of fuse I need?
What kind if fuse should I use for my car amp?
If you are talking about the fuse on the main power wire coming from the battery to the amp.



Then you need to add up the total size of all the fuses in all of your amps,then use a slightly larger fuse in the fuse holder.



For example,if your fuses in your amp total 120 then you can use a 150 amp fuse.
What kind if fuse should I use for my car amp?
generally as a rule you would use a 10 amp fuse for every 100 watts your amp puts out. now most amps have room for two fuses so in that instance you would split the difference between the two. so for a 500 watt amp you would use two 25 amp fuses. i hope this is helpfull!!
Take your total RMS power, divide by your voltage (With engine running most electrical systems put out 14.4V or so) which will give you your Amperage.



So say I have 3 Amps, a 200W, 500W and a 300W.

I add it all up and get 1000W, divide 1000 by 14.4 which gives me 69.4. In other words my Amps are drawing 69.8A, So total fusing on the main line should be 70A or a little higher.