Wednesday 26 October 2011

Replaceing a fuse! Please help! One of my fuse's went out in my town house!?

my neighbor parties all night and is never home BUT the power supply main shut off is in his house/garage... Can I change the fuse without turning that off? What if I unplug everything in my house? I have a 2 and 4 year old with the flu and they are so scared. PLEASE HELP! I have been on hold with PG%26amp;e for over 2 hours! Will I really get fried if I change it?
Replaceing a fuse! Please help! One of my fuse's went out in my town house!?
you can change it without getting fried. If it is the screw in kind with a base like on a screw in light bulb, you are ok. If it is held in place by clips like in car fuse box, you should use plastic fuse pullers to remove and insert it.

If you don't know if you can change it, then you probably don't have a spare replacement there either. Make sure you change it with the same size and rating. Normally you'd go to the hardware store to get it, but if it is late you can probably get it at a 24 hour drugstore or supermarket.
Replaceing a fuse! Please help! One of my fuse's went out in my town house!?
Above poster is right so don't be afraid to change it yourself as long as you are careful that you only handle the fuses and you have shoes on.

No need to unplug stuff. It will be the same as switching off a light or the circuit it is connected to until you replace it with the good fuse. Don't be afraid because the kids will react afraid also. Relax and chill.
If the fuse is a the type that screws in you can safely remove it by turning it counterclockwise. However, you should turn off things like lights, curlling irons, hair dryers before installing the new fuse. If changing the fuse requires you to open the electrical box exposing the wires, you should not attempt to change it. Never remove a fuse that requires the use of any tools unless you know what you are doing. You could indeed cause a short which could harm you or even kill you.