Thursday 15 September 2011

Can I change fuses to MCB on my consumer unit?

I have a consumer unit that has enclosed fuses, it does have an RCD but I would like to change the fuses to MCBs.

Is there a standard fit, so I can get any MCB ( correct amp rating ) to replace the fuse carrier?



reason behind my logic is sometimes when a halogen blows in my kitchen it takes out a fuse.
Can I change fuses to MCB on my consumer unit?
Yes. There are MCBs to replace wired fuses on most consumer units. Whilst this will be an advance on what you have shouldn't you be considering a new consumer unit and possibly a house re-wire considering your system is probably at least 20 years old?



Ask about the MCBs at your local electrical wholesaler (take an existing one along to show them) or some of the bigger B%26amp;Qs might do them.
Can I change fuses to MCB on my consumer unit?
Easy if it's a Wylex board.

http://www.thefusecompany.com/fuse.php?c鈥?/a>



they also come up on Ebay.
You really should have a new consumer unit fitted to achieve what you want. However, in the Screwfix catalogue you can buy Type B plug-in CBs that fit standard Wylex Consumer units. These might well fit your installation and do what you want I suspect MK may do similar too