Thursday 15 September 2011

What dose the power co need to do before I update a freinds home from the screw in type fuse box?

to a 100 amp breaker box and how much dose it cost. IM just going to change the fuse box to the breaker box not replaceing any wires.what actions do I need to put in place before getting started.
What dose the power co need to do before I update a freinds home from the screw in type fuse box?
I agree, if ya gotta' ask ya oughtn'ta do it. I am all for people DIY. I answer many questions about electricity but I won't even start for this one. Really, you do need a permit, The power co. May need to turn off power at the pole. The wires inside the home Do need to be inspected. Since the fuse box is screw in type therefore the original wiring is pretty old. And you DO NOT have the appropriate knowledge and experience to do all of this. Please do't be offended. I am an industrial electrician. I work with electricity every day and I would hire someone.
What dose the power co need to do before I update a freinds home from the screw in type fuse box?
power company doesn't do anything -you have to cut the main breaker off to house BEFORE attempting any work on fuse box.--the cost ranges anywhere from 50 to 150 depends on how many breakers are in box
They might want to see a copy of the permit you pulled for that project or want to see the license for the electrician who did the work.
This IS NOT a diy project.You need a permit and for that you need a licensed electrician.
This is not a do it yourself project. You may need to change the line running from the meter outside to the fuse box. This would require working with the live 220 line.

Do you know how to re-wire the current wires into the new box. They may not be compatible and they my not be clearly marked, so you could cross wires, etc.

Like someone metioned, if there is any local building authority, or when the house is inspected at time of sale, you may have to redo the whole thing.

I seems odd to the amature, but once you replace an item, the entire new project has to be up to current code.

a%26gt;
If you are asking this question, you are not qualified to do the job. Hire an electrician before you electrocute yourself or burn your friend's house down.
Take the necessary training and obtain your electricians license. Changing a service panel is not a DIY type project. And it must be done with a permit and be inspected or the power company will not reconnect to it.
I'm with rest of the guys...if you have to ask that question, you are not qualified to do that task. I'm all for DIY too, but sometimes you can get in over your head, injure or kill yourself, and burn your friends home down.