Thursday 15 September 2011

Why does the fuse in my Honda's 12-Volt power outlet burn out shortly after I plug in my radar Detector?

I have a 2002 Honda Civic that has a 12-Volt power outlet to plug in things such as my radar detector. I've used the same radar detector in my Civic for years without any problems. Recently, after using my radar detector, my fuse would burn out after using the outlet with the detector plugged in. It happens every time. I've already changed the fuse three times! And it's the correct amps too! Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Does my car have a more serious electrical problem I should know about? Any suggestions would be great.
Why does the fuse in my Honda's 12-Volt power outlet burn out shortly after I plug in my radar Detector?
Sounds to me like your radar detector, which you stated that you have used for years, has finally met it's maker, kicked-the-bucket, met it's timely demise, etc.



Some component in it has shorted out or something, it now is attempting to draw too much current, and your electrical system is doing exactly what it is should, blowing it's fuse before burning itself out (and/or the radar detector, the whole car, etc.).



I would say that it is time to start shopping for a new radar detector.
Why does the fuse in my Honda's 12-Volt power outlet burn out shortly after I plug in my radar Detector?
Your car is fine.

Your radar detector has issues though.



Is something else plugged in as well?
Obviously something has happened to your radar detector to cause it to draw excess amperage or the fuse wouldn't blow. Perhaps the power cord has an issue?
Could be the power outlet itself. Try plugging it in and leaving it in. Unplugging and plugging it in can loosen/damage the outlet. I tell my customers to plug in accessory and leave it alone. You could try an adapter 2-1 or 3-1 and leave it alone.